Monday, January 12, 2009

Here's a list of 100 food items

But not 100 recipes. I pinched this from Special K, who got it from here, who got it from here. Special K was kind enough to follow up with an explanation of some of the more exotic items on the list, in case you aren't sure what they are, let alone if you've eaten them.

I'm off tonight to a long overdue chiropractic appointment and then I will be attending my training session for inauguration volunteers. Yes, I have been selected to help out on the big day. While I am sure that I will be right on the podium, ADR is betting on my holding a big arrow at the intersection of 21st and Constitution Sts. Let's hope for something in the middle, shall we? You'll find out shortly after I do.

Instructions:
  1. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
  2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
  3. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
  4. Optional extra: Post a comment here linking to your results.
The Brave Astronaut Omnivore's Hundred
  1. Venison
  2. Nettle tea - who am I, Winnie the Pooh?
  3. Huevos rancheros - I mean, I like salsa, I like eggs, but not together.
  4. Steak tartare - I like my steak rare, but not that rare.
  5. Crocodile
  6. Black pudding - ew, no, never
  7. Cheese fondue - as recently as New Years Eve - our traditional fondue night with the OSGs!
  8. Carp - was it in a tub?
  9. Borscht - not a fan of the beet
  10. Baba ghanoush
  11. Calamari - this one is a Mrs. BA favorite and a reason that I now eat it.
  12. Pho - another recent addition, but hot soup, good!
  13. PB&J sandwich - um, yes. It's a popular late "dinner," with an ice cold glass of milk
  14. Aloo gobi - I could eat this.
  15. Hot dog from a street cart - from the cart is part of the adventure!
  16. Epoisses - Mrs. BA likes to say she's never met a cheese she didn't like. Perhaps this one might be the first.
  17. Black truffle
  18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
  19. Steamed pork buns - heh, heh, pork buns, is that like cow cheeks?
  20. Pistachio ice cream - but not the artificial green kind, Ben and Jerry's makes a really good one.
  21. Heirloom tomatoes
  22. Fresh wild berries - my mother used to have raspberry bushes in the back yard, and the neighbors had blueberry bushes, not to mention the wild strawberries that use to line the road to my grandmother's house in Maine.
  23. Foie gras - not for me, but a fave of Mrs. BA and Mr. OSG.
  24. Rice and beans
  25. Brawn, or head cheese - ick.
  26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
  27. Dulce de leche
  28. Oysters - I've had them raw, including having them at the bar at the Acme Oyster House.
  29. Baklava
  30. Bagna cauda - I could eat this, too.
  31. Wasabi peas
  32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
  33. Salted lassi - what's that Timmy, Lassie's been sprinkled with pepper and put in the blender?
  34. Sauerkraut
  35. Root beer float - a weakness, especially when made with vanilla soft serve.
  36. Cognac with a fat cigar
  37. Clotted cream tea - I like it better when my milk does not curdle in my coffee.
  38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - there are some gaps in the memory of doing these, but yep, been there.
  39. Gumbo
  40. Oxtail
  41. Curried goat - There are some that think lamb is gamy, man what must this taste like?
  42. Whole insects - it's intriguing, but not unless I really, really have to.
  43. Phaal - my taste for the hot stuff is still way below this level.
  44. Goat’s milk
  45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - um, must stay away from the brown liquor.
  46. Fugu - I'm not that adventurous. And there is still a part of me that thinks all this is really just, well, bait.
  47. Chicken tikka masala - I could do this.
  48. Eel - see #46
  49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - just one?
  50. Sea urchin - see #46, again. I've stepped on them, I don't need to eat them
  51. Prickly pear
  52. Umeboshi - maybe, but probably not.
  53. Abalone - again, more bait.
  54. Paneer - more stinky cheese. I can barely eat bleu cheese.
  55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
  56. Spaetzle - I used to be married to a girl of German descent.
  57. Dirty gin martini - another fave of Mr. OSG, but not for me.
  58. Beer above 8% ABV - when it can be secured, it will be drunk, as will I.
  59. Poutine - oh why ruin perfectly good French Fries like that?
  60. Carob chips
  61. S’mores - C'mon, my mother was a life-long Girl Scout.
  62. Sweetbreads
  63. Kaolin - eating dirt, thanks, but no.
  64. Currywurst - maybe, but not likely.
  65. Durian - sure, maybe someday
  66. Frogs’ legs - Mrs. OSG had these on my birthday.
  67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - I will always reach for the sugary dessert, every single time.
  68. Haggis - thanks, no.
  69. Fried plantain
  70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
  71. Gazpacho - I prefer my soup hot
  72. Caviar and blini - that scene in Big? Could have been me.
  73. Louche absinthe
  74. Gjetost, or brunost - more stinky cheese.
  75. Roadkill - never even been tempted, although it creeps me out when I pass a skunk that has been hit and the smell makes my mouth water, it's really weird.
  76. Baijiu - get me drunk enough, and I might not even notice.
  77. Hostess Fruit Pie
  78. Snail - if it's on the menu, I'm ordering it.
  79. Lapsang souchong - tea, which I'm not adverse to
  80. Bellini
  81. Tom yum - again, something I might eat.
  82. Eggs Benedict
  83. Pocky - its got chocolate, how bad could it be?
  84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - maybe someday
  85. Kobe beef
  86. Hare
  87. Goulash
  88. Flowers
  89. Horse - Hey, I saw that episode of MASH
  90. Criollo chocolate
  91. Spam
  92. Soft shell crab
  93. Rose harissa
  94. Catfish
  95. Mole poblano
  96. Bagel and lox - bagel, yes - lox, no
  97. Lobster Thermidor
  98. Polenta
  99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
  100. Snake
To honor the 100, here's the fondue recipe preferred by the OSG and Brave Astronaut families.

Classic Swiss Fondue
  • 1 garlic clove, halved
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 cups (8 0z.) shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Emmentaler cheese
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp. kirsch
  • dash white pepper
  • pinch grated nutmeg
Rub inside of fondue pot with cut garlic clove.

Pour in white wine and lemon juice; cook over medium heat until bubbly. Turn heat to low and gradually stir in cheeses with a wooden spoon.

In a small bowl blend cornstarch with kirsch. Blend into cheese and continue to cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth. Do not allow fondue to boil. Season with white pepper and nutmeg. Serve with bread cubes, ham, apple slices, or whatever you want to have with melted cheese. Makes about 4 servings.

7 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Huevos rancheros is the dude's favorite brunch dish. Really, salsa is perfect for eggs. You're missing something. Also you need to find out what clotted cream is; I think you're missing the point. And it is a fine one.

Anna van Schurman said...

Also, paneer is like cottage cheese. Not stinky at all. Not even a little bit.

Anonymous said...

So you want to try durian, eh? Let me know how that works out for you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lana Gramlich said...

Congrats on the inauguration day events. You must be very happy to be able to take part in something so historic!
There's a lot on that list I haven't or wouldn't eat, but I do like me some nice, wild game. Charles makes a really nice squirrel stew (which helps us protect the bird feeders, too. ;)

Brave Astronaut said...

Anna - my interpretation of some of the items was due to my understanding of them. I may stand corrected on some, but I will not put salsa on my eggs, ever.

Terry - You think the smell will get to me, eh?

Lana - careful with that squirrel intake, you'll get all squirrely.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.