Friday, June 20, 2014

67 Movies Men Will Always Watch

As most of you know, dear readers, Friday is Pizza / Movie night at the Launchpad.  Here's a list I found on BuzzFeed.  My comments in italics.
  1. Die Hard – “Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs…” I just had this conversation with the lunch bunch the other day - does this qualify as a Christmas movie?  Is it ok to watch it any other time it's on - as I will.
  2. Rudy – “No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around.” A movie I haven't actually seen all the way through.
  3. Tombstone – “I’m your huckleberry” Also, not fully seen. 
  4. Slap Shot – “Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country’s refusal to accept him, well, I guess that’s more than most 21-year-olds can handle… Ogie Ogilthorpe!” One of my mother's favorite movies and one I own on DVD.
  5. Terminator – “Come with me if you want to live.” Ah-nald at his early best.
  6. Gladiator – “Win the crowd and win your freedom.” This movie never interested me
  7. First Blood – “Strictly speaking, he slipped up. You’re lucky to be breathing.” For the Stallone genre - I'll stick with Rocky.
  8. Major League – “JUST a bit outside.” "That ball wouldn't have been out of most parks . . . Yeah, name one . . . Yellowstone."  It may be a few more years before LBA can watch this movie.
  9. Blazing Saddles – “That’s HEDLEY!” This movie is always best watched on "real TV" - edited for television takes too much away.
  10. Happy Gilmore – “You’re gonna die, clown!” I've seen this only a few times and in bits and pieces.
  11. Animal House – “Was is over when the Germans bombed Pearl Habor?” Mrs. BA reminds people she saw this movie at a young age . . . with her mother.
  12. Commando – “You’re a funny guy Sully, I like you. That’s why I’m going to kill you last.” More Ah-nold.
  13. Field of Dreams – “This is my corn. You people are guests in my corn.” Always
  14. Road House – “I’ll get all the sleep I need when I’m dead.” At the bottom of my list of Swayze movies.
  15. Better Off Dead – “Two dollars!” Considering I will watch Demi Moore read from the phone book, this is watched often.
  16. Step Brothers – “Your voice is like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.” Not the strongest of the Will Ferrell movies
  17. Predator – “I ain’t got time to bleed.” Nah
  18. Revenge of the Nerds – “What the fuck’s a frush?” Early and Awesome Anthony Edwards!
  19. Big Trouble in Little China – “A six demon bag. Sensational. What’s in it, Egg?” One member of the lunch bunch mentioned this movie specifically as one he will always stop and watch.
  20. Fight Club – “His name was Robert Paulson.” Never seen it.
  21. Enter the Dragon – “My style? You can call it the art of fighting without fighting.” Ditto.
  22. Bull Durham - “This son of a bitch is throwing a two-hit shutout. He’s shaking me off. You believe that shit? Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.” It's a baseball movie that moves into a romantic movie - but always worth watching.  And LBA has many years before this one is shown to him.
  23. King Pin – “If he strikes, he’s the 1979 Odor-Eaters Champion.” You have to love (and watch) any and all bowling movies.
  24. Stripes – “Any of you guys call me Francis, and I’ll kill you.” Again, one I own but will watch when it's on - but on "real TV"
  25. Billy Madison – “Knibb High football rules!” No.
  26. Back to School – “Bring us a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until someone passes out and then bring one every ten minutes.” What other movie features a Kurt Vonnegut cameo? Classic!
  27. Midnight Run – “Is this moron number one? Put moron number two on the phone.” One of my and Mrs. BA's favorites.  It's currently on the DVR list
  28. Full Metal Jacket - “If I’m gonna get my balls blow off for a word, my word is ‘poontang’.” saw it in the theater and only bits and pieces since then.
  29. High Plains Drifter – “You’re going to look pretty silly with that knife sticking out of your ass.” Classic Eastwood, but never really on my radar.
  30. Rollerball (1975) – “The game was created to demonstrate the futility of the individual effort.” Another "sports" movie - but not one I'm focused on.
  31. This is Spinal Tap - “It’s like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.” The whole Christopher Guest genre is owned by me and we will watch any and all of them when they're on.
  32. True Romance – “I don’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out. All I got is fuckin’ Floyd.” Never seen it.
  33. Kalifornia – “Early don’t eat breakfast. He thinks it’s a conspiracy put together by the cereal people.” Ditto
  34. Dodgeball – “If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.” Like many others on the list, I'll watch, but I want it unedited.
  35. Snatch – “In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary…come again?” No
  36. Tommy Boy – “Oh, that’s gonna leave a mark!” No
  37. Dogma – “No wonder he saw Jesus. Homey’s rockin’ the ganj.” No
  38. Fletch – “You using the whole fist, Doc?” I'll have a steak sandwich, and a steak sandwich."
  39. Pulp Fiction – “You’re going to give her an injection of adrenaline directly to her heart. But she’s got, uh, breastplate…” Another one I have never seen all the way through.
  40. Caddy Shack – “I’d keep playing. I don’t think the heavy stuff’s gonna come down for awhile.” "You'll get nothing and like it!"  Always watchable.
  41. Old School – “We’re going streaking!” seen it once and that was enough
  42. Rocky III – “My prediction? Pain!” 
  43. Rocky IV – “He is not human, he is a piece of iron.” My earlier comments about Stallone do not necessarily transfer to the sequels.
  44. Godfather I – “Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract.”
  45. Godfather II – “I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart.” I can finally say that I have seen the Godfather all the way through now.
  46. Youngblood – “You can learn to punch in the barn, but you gotta learn to survive on the ice.” More hockey movies and always worth a look.
  47. Clerks – “I’m not even supposed to be here today!” Another I haven't seen fully.
  48. Star Wars – “You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”
  49. The Empire Strikes Back – “The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.” 
  50. Return of the Jedi – “Your thoughts betray you, Father. I feel the good in you, the conflict.” Favorites of the entire Brave Astronaut clan and the only recognized movies in the canon.
  51. The Matrix – “There is no spoon.” I've seen it - it's not a "stop and watch" movie for me.
  52. Zoolander – “Mugatu is so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple of fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings.” Bits and pieces but not the whole thing.
  53. Mad Max – “The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It’d take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you’re lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go.” Seen it once, it doesn't come on with any regularity.
  54. Scarface – “Every day above ground is a good day.” Awesome Pacino. 
  55. Goodfellas – “…but I’m funny how, I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you? Awesome Pesci 
  56. Raiders of the Lost Ark – “You want to talk to God? Let’s go see him together, I’ve got nothing better to do.” Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?
  57. The Big Lebowski – “That rug really tied the room together.”
  58. Coming to America - “Give a hand to my band, Sexual Chocolate.” The "surprise" at the end is lost once you've seen it all the way through. But John Amos is great in this, too
  59. Office Space - “The thing is, Bob, it’s not that I’m lazy, it’s that I just don’t care.” For a cubicle dweller, I should think more of this movie, but I don't.
  60. Monty Python and The Holy Grail - “What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?” "African or European? . . . I don't kn- ahhhhhh!"
  61. Shawshank Redemption - “If I hear so much as a mouse fart in here the rest of the night I swear by God and sonny Jesus you will all visit the infirmary.” Also mentioned by the lunch bunch - I will always watch this one, too.
  62. Pineapple Express - “You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucker!” Haven't seen this.
  63. Vacation - “We watch his program… We buy his toys, we go to his movies… he owes us. Doesn’t he owe us, huh? He owes the Griswolds, right? Fucking-A right he owes us!” "Park's closed folks - moose out front should have told you."
  64. The Princess Bride - “Inconceivable!” Another one that is popular with LBA and SoBA
  65. Wayne’s World - “Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?” I've seen it once, that was good.
  66. Trading Places - “Nenge? Nenge Mboko? It is me, Lionel Joseph!” "Feeling Good Billy Ray!"
  67. The Blues Brothers - “It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark… and we’re wearing sunglasses.” It's such irreverent good fun!

1 comment:

Special K. said...

Seven of the movies on this list I only saw recently as part of the '80s movie project. Some of these are on the '90s movie project list. But where's Hoosiers? Isn't that one of those guy movies?

I agree with most of your assessments, and I am not a man.