Palmiers (Elephant Ears)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
The yield depends on the amount of scraps used.
- scraps of puff pastry
- unrefined blond cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Stack the scraps of puff pastry on top of one another, arranging them to form as neat a block as you can. Pat the top and sides to even them out.
- Sprinkle sugar on a clean work surface, and place the block of pastry on top.
- Sprinkle with more sugar and roll out the pastry as thinly as you're comfortable working with. Add a little more sugar as needed underneath and on top of the pastry if it starts to stick to the counter or rolling pin.
- Roll the pastry in from both sides until they meet in the center.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices, about 1 cm (1/3 inch) thick, and place them sideways on the prepared baking sheet, giving them a little room to expand.
- Insert in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Let cool on a rack before serving.