Slow-Cooker Creme Brûlée
Prep Time 5 min
Cook Time 2 hrs
Total Time 2hrs, 5min
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 of a vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- Combine the egg yolks, whipping cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Using a dull knife, scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean and add it to the cream mixture. It should be about 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla bean seeds. You can substitute extra, if you prefer.
- Whisk the mixture together very well.
- Meanwhile, take 2 12" long pieces of foil and roll them up into a snake shape. Curl it into a circle, pinching the ends together. Place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Repeat with the other piece of foil.
- Place each ramekin on top of each foil ring.
- Pour boiling water in the slow cooker (carefully! Don't splash water on the custards) until the water reaches up about 1/3 of the way on the ramekins.
- Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When done, the custard should be set--poke it with a knife to be sure.
- Cover and chill the custards at least 6 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar evenly over both custards and torch with a culinary torch until brown.