We are going to need to amp up our prepared meal plan, cue the slow cooker. Recipe from Dinner then Dessert via BuzzFeed's "30 Delicious Things You Never Knew You Could Make with a Crock-Pot."
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours
Total Time 8 hours 15 minutes
- 4-5 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) can condensed French onion soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 inch yellow onion sliced into 1/4" slices
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 inch green bell pepper sliced into 1/4" slices
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Provolone Cheese
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt and pepper (if you are sensitive to sodium, adjust to your taste or you can even leave the salt out altogether since you're adding broth and soup).
- Heat the pan (or if you can brown in your slow cooker)
- Add the canola oil and when it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- In your slow cooker add the beef, the beef broth, the french onion soup, Worcestershire sauce, and the beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add in the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper in the last hour of cooking.
- To serve, toast your hoagie rolls with a bit of butter spread onto the cut sides.
- With a very sharp knife cut your beef against the grain.
- Add your cheese of choice, some of the meat and top with the cooked veggies.
- I like to have a bit of the liquid (with the fat skimmed off on the side, but it is totally optional - but sounds delicious!)