Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Time to Renew My Drivers License

I recently received a form in the mail to renew my drivers license in the mail. I have had a drivers license twenty years now and this is the first time I have been offered the opportunity to renew my license by mail. In New York, where I grew up, I always renewed my license in person. In many of the cases, it involved a change of address (i.e., I was living somewhere else) so that is not a surprise. However, I learned by looking at the DMV site for New York, renewing by mail or even online is an option.

I now live in Maryland. According to the renewal form, I can renew my license by mail if:
  • I have not been diagnosed with a physical or mental disability, other than vision, which may affect my driving.
  • My license or privilege to drive has not been suspended, revoked, refused, canceled, or disqualified in Maryland or any other state, Washington DC or Canada.
  • My name and address printed on the renewal application is correct.
  • My current license is not a Provisional driver license or a "Valid Without Photo" driver license.
  • I have not renewed by mail previously.
I have several questions. We constantly read in the papers about people who are involved in accidents that are driving on suspended licenses, or without other necessary documentation (unregistered automobile's, no insurance, etc.). I would think that allowing people to renew by methods other than in person can only contribute to this.

I will admit to not being the best driver. I have had more than my fair share of accidents. I have long thought that people should be required to periodically take driving classes, another road test, a written exam, or some measure to ensure that people still know how to drive safely. In New York, there was always an option of taking a class that reduced your insurance costs and would remove points from your driving record. I don't know why such classes are not more widely available.

My father, who still lives in New York, is an instructor for an AARP driver safety course. I really believe that drivers, as they get older, should be subjected to more rigorous guidelines for driving. Not to be ageist, but senior drivers have their fair share of accidents, which might be averted if they were required to more frequently polish their driving skills. My mother, who passed away in February, was able to renew her drivers license late in 2005, even after she had long stopped driving and had part of her leg amputated (she constantly reminded us that it wasn't her driving leg).

All this talk of driver's licenses makes me think of Safety Town. You are from Long Island if you know what I am talking about. I vividly remember the class trip to Safety Town and driving around the town learning the rules of the road. Maybe I should have gone back more often. It might have made me a better driver.

In looking for Safety Town information, I found the following website. Drop me a line if you know more than half of the list!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to read http://blondelibrarian.net/blog/archives/2006/09/license-to-fail/ as a counterpoint.

Anonymous said...

you are too cool, make the waffles and please fed ex them, we have a starving teenager to feed!

xoxox

susan

stinkypaw said...

I'm REALLY not from Long Island, that's for sure!

We only need to go get our picture renewed every two years for our licenses... and yes there should be more tests for the older folks.