Friday, September 29, 2006

Walking for my Health

In February, I lost my mother. She had suffered from diabetes for a long time. As the disease attacked her body, she suffered from blood clots in her legs, leading to a partial amputation of her left leg. She went on kidney dialysis as her kidneys failed her. At the end, she was faced with another operation to remove her other leg, and she made a decision to stop dialysis, with the understanding that it would lead to the end of her life. Within a week of her stopping dialysis, she was gone.

I hate diabetes. It's a horrible disease. In my opinion, there is no disease that is so invasive and attacks so many systems. I am overweight and am surely susceptible to getting diabetes. I should be taking better care of myself, eating better, and getting more exercise. But I will work on that, I promise.

I have made a decision to walk for my mother in the America's Walk for Diabetes. The event I will be participating in will take place on November 4, here in Washington, DC. I sent out an email solicitation to friends and family, asking for support in the walk. I am so moved by the support that I have received and can't believe that I have raised more than $600 already.

There is a cure out there somewhere and this is one step toward finding that cure. Under the links section is a link to my personal page for America's Walk for Diabetes. Every little bit helps. If you would like to sponsor me, please do so. I would be forever grateful. Thank YOU!

No comments: