Thursday, May 10, 2007

Once Again into the Hockey Breach!

I know, I know. I promised no more hockey. As my faithful readers will note, I have given up on the hockey season, with the departure of the Rangers in the semi-finals. I can now pick up my golf clubs and join the Rangers on the course (still waiting for the first "thwack" of the season) and look after the Yankees and Nationals as they try not to suck. Well at least the Yankees have managed to pull their butts out of the cellar.

But anyway, C in DC asked for an opportunity to let you all know that, in her world, hockey continues. Here is her take on the Eastern Conference finals. As she notes, she doesn't really care about the West, if only to note she wants the team that Buffalo can more easily beat.

C, take it away . . .
Hello, hockey fans. Despite Brave Astronaut’s lack of interest in this subject, he has kindly allowed me to guest blog about the Eastern Conference finals. Readers of his blog will know that I am a Sabres fan, and so will not be surprised that I predict – going against the common wisdom – that the Sabres will win, in 7.

I think that this will be a hard fought series. Ottawa and Buffalo have a history. Buffalo knocked the then President’s Trophy winning Ottawa out of the running in last year’s playoffs. Ottawa is still bitter about it. They played each other 8 times this season, with Ottawa taking 5 of them. There’s also that small matter of the brawl in February, which is fueling both teams.

In my mind, this series will come down to three factors.
  • Control. Who will play their own game better? These teams have similar styles, which promises for some interesting hockey. Whoever takes control of the game sooner will have the advantage.
  • Endurance. In the playoffs so far, Buffalo has noticeably lost energy towards the end of the game. If they can keep their energy, they will pull this off.
  • Hunger. Lindy Ruff has already begun trying to position Buffalo as the underdogs, despite being the number 1 team going into this series. Plus, any team from Buffalo is always the underdog. And they’re still smarting from last year’s loss to the ‘Canes. Ottawa has a history of being the underdog. Which one of these junkyard dogs has been starving longer?

As for the Western Conference finals, I just want the team to win that Buffalo will have better odds against in the finals. Brave Astronaut and ADR seem to think this would be the Red Wings. I have to agree, mostly because I can’t stand the idea of the Ducks winning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, BA. The Sabres once again disappeared in the 3rd last night. Sigh ...

Anonymous said...

C, Sorry about that 3rd period fade last night. I guessed that might happen because they seem to struggle at points during the game. Anyway, I'll stand by my remark that Buffalo (if they won) would be better matched against Detroit. However, I am picking both Ottawa and Anaheim to advance to the SCF.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with ADR on this one - Ottowa v. Anaheim will likely be the final match-up.

Archivalist said...

For the remainder of the playoffs, I should change my name to "Anyone But Detroit." Go Anyone!

And somehow I missed the fact that you're a Yankees fan, BA. Ugh.