Sunday, May 13, 2007

Weekend Wrapup

A couple of random observations from the weekend.

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to usher at Ford's Theatre again. Devoted readers will recall that I volunteer there during the year. Saturday was a special treat in that while the play season is coming to a close, Ford's has, for the second year, presented a 40-minute play dramatizing the events of April 14, 1865, called "One Destiny." Two actors take to the stage, one playing John Ford, owner of the theater, and the second playing Harry Hawk, an actor who was on stage when John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln. The two interact with one another taking on the personalities of individuals who were at the theater that fateful day. It was very well done.

Two sporting events went late into the Sunday morning, both after beginning on Saturday night. On the ice, the Buffalo Sabres fell again to the Ottawa Senators in game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals, in double overtime. While I will point out for C in DC's benefit that the Sabres were up two games to none over the Rangers in the last series, she shouldn't get her hopes up. As I write this, the Ducks and the Red Wings are skating in the third period tied at 3. Another overtime game, anyone?

The Washington Nationals are having a tough season. There are few that will debate that. However, if the Nats could manage to play the Florida Marlins for the rest of the season, things might turn around for them. The Nats concluded a weekend series with the Marlins, taking all three games. Saturday night's game was delayed for several hours as thunderstorms crossed the DC area, concluding the game around 2:00am Sunday morning. The Nationals are now 12 and 25 with the Atlanta Braves coming to town this week. The Orioles will come to DC for interleague play next weekend also. One assumes that reality will return to RFK. On a related note about losing, the Washington Post reported about the President's race that is featured at every home game. Basically, the four presidents featured on Mount Rushmore (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt), have a race in RFK. Teddy Roosevelt has never won. Will he ever?

I got to watch some Tiger-free golf this weekend. The Players Championship, played at the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedre Beach, Florida, was won by one of my favorites, Phil Mickelson. Tiger finished tied for 37th place. I don't feel bad for him. I don't like him. Sawgrass contains what most agree is the most terrifying shot in golf, the 17th. Kids, don't try this at home. I have had the opportunity to "play" this hole twice before, once at the World Golf Village and then at Renditions Golf Course, where the hole is replicated. If the pros put it in the water with great regularity, do you really need to ask what I did?

I also broke out the sticks today and got to hit my first golf balls of the season. Yes, I know it's Mother's Day, but my wife is wonderful and she allowed me the opportunity to play nine holes today. It is but one of the countless reasons I love her.

Which, brings me to today, Mother's Day. My mother passed away last year, this is my second mother's day without her. I miss her a lot. Wherever you are, Mom, Happy Mother's Day. I am very happy to be able to celebrate Mother's Day with my wife, who is the best mother around. My son and I are very lucky to have her and for everything she does I say thank you on his behalf. We love you very much.

3 comments:

Archivalist said...

Ahhhh......Anaheim won. Phew.

Anonymous said...

I'm consoling myself with the Nats sweep of the Marlins. We were at the game Sunday with my parents. One of the other fans broke out his broom at the end of the 7th. Sweet!

Can you believe another under 10 second goal? Wish they could set those up for the rest of the game instead of waiting until the buzzer .... I don't think any amount of cooking is going to help them this time.

Anonymous said...

I will now return to my regular scheduled May activity -- baseball. At least my boys there are on track to beat the prediction that they'd only win 30 games this season. Tonight's win against Atlanta (sorry, JS) was sweet!