Monday, June 23, 2008

Lyndon Johnson's Spinach Parmesean

Really? Can you really see Lyndon Johnson sitting down to eat this? I'm quite sure someone told him he needed to come up with a recipe and he told someone to go "stick it" and the person heard "spinach."

Johnson's Spinach Parmesan
  • 3 lbs. chopped spinach
  • 6 Tbsp. Parmesan, grated
  • 6 Tbsp. minced onions
  • 6 Tbsp. heavy cream
  • 5 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cook spinach until tender, drain thoroughly, and chop coarsely. Add cheese, onion, cream, and 4 tablespoons of butter. Beat egg and add to mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into shallow, well-greased ring form. Sprinkle with crumbs mixed with remaining butter. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with crackers or puff pastries.

Recipe from The First Ladies Cook Book (1966)

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I cannot see LBJ whipping this up either. If he did, one thing I'm betting is that someone else did the cleaning up. But then the only president I can picture with a dish towel in his hands is Jimmy Carter.

When I was a very young thing, I actually heard LBJ speak. He came to our hometown and it was a Big Deal. All I can remember is his accent. And that the fellow standing in front of me was wearing a dirty shirt.

Brave Astronaut said...

LBJ is one of those larger than life characters that you sometimes have a hard time understanding they actually existed. It's very cool that you got to hear him speak, even with the guy in the dirty shirt.