Monday, June 16, 2008

Recipe: Grilled Asparagus

Don't you think it is so cool when your pee smells after you have asparagus?

Grilled Asparagus with Tarragon Wine Vinaigrette
  • 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. minced shallot
  • 1/3 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 6 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. fresh tarragon, finely chopped
  • 1 large hard boiled egg, grated or finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
  • handful of peanuts, chopped or sliced
  • salt and pepper
Preheat the grill. When its hot, grill the asparagus for five or six minutes rolling the stalks every minute to ensure you cook the whole thing. Be careful not to char them. Remove the stalks from the grill and set aside.

Whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly stream the olive oil, whisking as you add it until the mixture emulsifies. Then whisk in the tarragon.

Toss the asparagus with two tablespoons of the vinaigrette and divide it among four plates. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the asparagus and top with grated egg, cheese, and nuts for crunch. The recipe serves four.

[This recipe appeared in the Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine and is from Chef Jon Ashton.]

6 comments:

Amy said...

To answer your question:

Ew! No!

Anna van Schurman said...

Did you know that everyone's pee smells after they eat asparagus but only some people have the capability of smelling it? I am a nonsmeller. (And I love roasted asparagus.)

Kim Ayres said...

It took me years to make the connection with asparagus as to why my pee smelled so strange sometimes

stinkypaw said...

I don't really think it's cool, I'd say more strange... But that recipe sounds interesting. Might give it a try this weekend!

Mary Witzl said...

To answer your question, yes. But I find all that sort of thing fascinating; I can't help myself. The effect cabbage and broccoli have on the digestive system also amazes me.

This recipe sounds great! I think I'll try it, cutting the oil down. Bet it won't taste as good, but I'm determined to have a waist that is a little more concave.

Brave Astronaut said...

Amy - well then you may not be allowed in the archivist club. You have to have a good nose and be able to smell "vinegar syndrome"

Anna - I didn't know that, but then again best pal's sister is in that boat where she can't smell anything - her amnosia and all.

Kim - The smell is somewhat comforting - it tells me that everything inside is working all right.

Paw - Be sure to let me know how it comes out.

Mary - same for you! And now I will try and stop thinking about your concave waist :)