Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I've Reached Two Score

In about two hours time, the daily calendar will read December 20. It will also mark my fortieth birthday, the big 4-0. As someone once told their mother, "Hey, it's halfway to 80!" When my mother-in-law turned 40, the friends next door draped her house in black crepe paper.

All in all, I feel OK about turning 40. I love my life, I love my wife, I love my sons (both the one on the inside and the one on the outside). Yes, things could be different. I could be 25 pounds lighter, more financially stable and not suffering from occasional insomnia. We all want things.

So far the festivities have been quite nice. A public shout out to Ed in Pittsburgh (he knows who he is) for the Golf Magazine renewal. Of the cards received so far, the best goes to Special K and her AH, who found the mandatory archival content card. Yesterday friends from work took me to a nice restaurant to have lunch. I have been asked to lunch tomorrow by OSG and we will go and redeem my free coupon for a steak sandwich at South Street Steaks. It's possible that C in DC and I may go out for lunch on Friday as there is likely to be no one left at work.

Friday night, Mrs. BA and Mr. and Mrs. OSG will head out for a nice dinner downtown. Then Saturday morning is the big movie outing. There's still time to join us!

13 comments:

ADR said...

Happy Birthday. Welcome to the club.

Lana Gramlich said...

Drat...I was hoping to beat you to this post...I knew I should have put it in the comments of the last post while I was at work today! *snap* Happy birthday & many more, at any rate! Glad things are good with y'all. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday! You will love your forties.

dd

Eryl Shields said...

Hello, I had to come and visit you after Kim's M&Ms. It's so nice to come across someone who is not only incredibly thoughtful but actually manages to see the thought through: take it from the mind and make it concrete. That's something I rarely manage and it's so admirable.

And it's your birthday too, so I get to say happy birthday to an admirable man, one that quotes Faulkner at that! So happy birthday.

My fortieth birthday is away in the distant past, or so it seems, but I have to say my forties have been my best decade so far. Enjoy!

Amy said...

Happy birthday, but I say ixnay on the Faulkner quotes. Or at least that one about the past not even being past — it's sort of a running joke with me and the other proofreader at work, stemming from when we used it on the cover of one of our books a few years ago.

Anyhow, you seem to have quite the party plans all laid out — enjoy the festivities!

Anonymous said...

To the best husband I've ever had - who's also a terrific father, son, brother, friend, event planner, professional, blogger, and much more - happy birthday! (FINALLY he turns 40! :) )

Special K. said...

Welcome to the club, my friend! MAH and I were tickled pink when we found that birthday card for you (while on our honeymoon, I might add). You might remember that I robbed the cradle and so we have a while to go before MAH joins the rest of us.

Enjoy all of your celebrations. We will be with you in spirit.

stinkypaw said...

Happy Birthday Mister! When you're that "old" you should be called "mister"! ;-)

Joke aside, turning 40 wasn't that bad. I much prefer turning 40 than turning up dead somewhere...

Enjoy your day, while you still can, and think of this: In dog years, you'd be dead! See, not that bad the big 4-0 afterall! :-)

Anonymous said...

Will NJM now have to say, "What are you, 13?"

Congrats.

Kim Ayres said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

40's nothing bad.

And 25lbs is nothing to worry about either

Archivalist said...

Happy 40th! And, like adr, welcome to the club. Send your $40 dues check to "Archivalist, Lewiston, Maine."

And how did the dual birthday/Christmas celebrations go as a child?

Dave said...

Happy 40th! Furst time to your site. Have a great day! :-)

Anonymous said...

Will I have to start asking if he's 13? No, because no matter what age BA is, he will always be my little brother, and therefore, 12.