Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rangers vs. Capitals and a Brave Astronaut Christmas Tree


I thought you might like to see what has become the Brave Astronaut Christmas Tree (living room edition). You have heard the saga, here is the result.

So tonight, ADR and the Brave Astronaut headed to the Verizon Center tonight to watch the New York Rangers take on the Washington Capitals. We started our evening here, where ADR jumped out to an early lead on the beer race. After some good pizza (and a salad, too), we headed over to the arena for the game.

It started out good, with the Rangers jumping out to a quick two goal lead in the first period. But the Capitals came back, tying the game at two. It was a good game with a lot of back and forth action. The Capitals played better than the Rangers and wound up winning in overtime 5-4. You can read a complete recap of the game here. I know that some people who come here, don't understand hockey (yes, Kim, I mean you) but please know that it was a great game and I am very grateful to Mrs. Brave Astronaut for getting me the tickets.

It was 80s night at the game, so there was really good music and lots of nostalgia to fuel the crowd. There was a Rangers fan three seats away from me, who was getting his fuel from the Budweiser tap but was having a great time. Some of you may recall I took some flak from Mrs. Brave Astronaut for feeding cotton candy to our two and a half year old at a baseball game this summer, but tonight our drunk Rangers fan bought cotton candy for the nearly two-year old behind him. Then as the game drew to a close, the language became a little more colorful. It brought back memories of Ranger games at Madison Square Garden with whiskey and Italian pastries in the "blue seats," AKA the "family section" of the Garden. And people wonder why New York sports fans get a bad rap.

ADR and I were one of the first 5000 fans into the building, we both got bright red mullet wigs. I was prepared to post a picture of me all decked out with the "business in the front, party in the rear" headgear, but I was asked nicely by Mrs. BA to refrain. So you will have to be satisfied with these. Trust me. It's better this way.


8 comments:

ADR said...

All I can say is W00T!

And, yes, thanks to Mrs. BA for the tickets and BA for the invite. It was a very good game...

Anonymous said...

Nice Tree. Scary Mullet.

Amy said...

I see you your mullet wig — the Lake Erie Monsters gave out mullet wigs when the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot made a special guest appearance on December 1 — and raise you last year's Anderson Varejao "Wild Thing" wig.


Given the contract negotiations, they're not having a Wild Thing wig night this year. Boo. I still totally want one.

Anna van Schurman said...

We still have the fuzzy blue Dodgers wig in the trunk of the car. You never know when you'll need it to keep your head warm or entertain a small child...

Archivalist said...

No scary hair here in Lewiston, although defenseman Dennis Reul has no hair at all. Now that would be a strange promotion.

Lana Gramlich said...

I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes I miss hockey, perhaps the teensiest bit. You don't miss the water 'til the well's run dry, of course & down here in southern LA it's all about the LSU Tigers & the New Orleans Saints (or "Aints," depending on how they're playing.)

Anonymous said...

Please take it from Mrs. B.A. that the internet is a much better place without the picture of B.A. in the mullet....

Amy C. Schindler said...

I can't decide what would be worse: an actual photo of Mr. B.A. in the mullet wig or what someone could whip up with a little Photoshop.