Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tidying Up at Year's End

I have a few "starred" items in my Google Reader that I have been meaning to share. So here you are.
  • There has been a discussion recently about what my son's first "real" memory will be. Both my wife and I assume it will take place around this time. Here is an article from National Geographic on memory that is pretty interesting.
  • In that same vein, research has been done that showed that when people are shown doctored pictures of an event, they can be "persuaded" to remember the event differently. It just goes to show the strength of the image.
  • I got a fair number of books for Christmas this year (coming soon, the list of loot!). I am not sure if anyone who bought me a book employed the Marshall McLuhan method, which is to turn to page 69 and read. If you like what you read, buy the book. A blog has been created devoted strictly to that method.
  • I don't have any money to travel. But a man can dream. The New York Times put out its list of the "53 Places to Go in 2008." Let me know if you get there. Better yet, if you go, call me, I'll carry your bags.
  • Countless hours lost here. Don't click unless you are ready to give up a few hours. But it is definitely helping my geography if not my darts game.
  • A very public shout-out to C in DC (yes, I know it's not the written note, is that OK?) in thanks for the Scrabble Page-A-Day calendar for 2008. Were I not going to be a little busy in the month of January, I might consider this event in New York City.
  • Oh, and in the "I LOVE Irony" department, this news item from CNN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a written note. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Ha. the page 69 test..I'll have to try it.

the #1 place to visit in 2008 is Laos? Laos?!

I may hit up Vegas, Munich, Prague, and of course, New York, on that list next year though.