Saturday, August 23, 2008

What the Font?

If you are a reader of Amy's blog, you've already seen this. In my defense, I was planning to post about it, but she beat me to it. Enjoy nonetheless, it's very funny.

Kottke got me thinking further about fonts when this post appeared, detailing the new Mencap typeface, designed for those with certain learning disabilities. In that same kottke post, he mentions the new Clearview typeface, which is making its appearance known around the country as road signs are replaced with new, easier to read signs. You'll notice the difference when you see them.

Finally, growing up in the 70s and early 80s, television often turned to PBS standards as Mister Roger's Neighborhood, Sesame Street, Electric Company, or Zoom (and I'm sorry if the theme has now popped into your heads - "Write ZOOM, Z-Double-O-M, Box 3-5-0, Boston, Mass 0-2-1-3-4: send it to ZOOM!". Some enterprising person has posted the various fonts, typefaces, and logos utilized by the Electric Company during its run.

4 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

I loved Zoom & had forgotten all about it until just a year ago or so. Remembering was very surreal...I kind of stood there, oblivious to my living room as the rubber band of time just yanked me back to 8ish.
Charles showed me the font video a couple of weeks ago. What a hoot!
Do you have a favorite font that you use in your personal documents? Just wondering. I'm partial to GoudyOlSt BT or Book Antiqua, myself.

Archivalist said...

I prefer Book Antiqua as well. I also like(d) Caslon Open Face, but it's no longer in Word, and I'm too cheap to go buy it myself.

stinkypaw said...

Interesting and I couldn't help but notice another difference on the road signs: there's a 1 mile difference in between each sign, any idea why?

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - I am pretty much a Times New Roman man, myself.

AT - You really have become a Yankee - all that frugality and everything.

Paw - I am hoping they are two different signs.