Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's on my iPod? - Volume II

Another blog that I frequent is David McMahon's authorblog. And this week he asked in his "Weekend Wandering," "What song brings you the best memories?" There are many answers, here are the first four that come to mind:
  • Nancy by Frank Sinatra will always make me think of my mother as that was her name.
  • Let's Go Crazy by Prince will always make me think of high school as it was the anthem for our football team during senior year. That and Purple Rain, for it was the song theme for the one prom I went to, where you know, prom things happened. Wink, wink.
  • Save the Last Dance for Me by the Drifters was a song that I had wanted to have played at my sister's wedding because I wanted to dance with her before she left. OK, I was 11.
  • Thank You by Dido will always make me think of Mrs. BA. That and At Last by Etta James. If I were making a mix tape for her, those two would lead it off.
So for that reason (to answer David's question above) and because the post that was supposed to be ready for today is not . . . here is volume II of "what's on my iPod" - first twenty songs, set on shuffle, songs that appeared previously discarded, although there were none! Duplicate artists are noted where they appeared:
  1. Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen (now that I know this song meant so much to Tim Russert, it will forever remind me of him)
  2. Non Dimenticar - Natalie Cole (what? it's a big album, got lots of songs on it.)
  3. Workin' in the Car Wash Blues - Jim Croce (although my personal favorite of his is "You don't mess around with Jim")
  4. Car Crash - Matt Nathanson (another iTunes free song of the week, great sound)
  5. Take it Easy - the Eagles (song number 21 was another Eagles tune, After the Thrill is Gone)
  6. The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace (um, I might have bought this song on iTunes. "Daddy was a cop, on the east side of Chicago . . . when a man named Al Capone, tried to make that town his own . . . ")
  7. Never Did No Wanderin' - The New Main Street Singers (from "A Mighty Wind" soundtrack. After the movie came out, Mrs. BA and I, with several others, went to the 9:30 Club to see the "concert" featuring the "bands" from the movie. It was awesome.
  8. Jacqueline - James Hunter (this one might have been a Starbucks free song of the week)
  9. Tears from a Gun - The Black Ghosts (also a free song from iTunes)
  10. Bye, Bye Love - Ray Charles (at least it's not "Hit the Road Jack," which is a personal favorite of LBA, who often will ask for it to be played over and over and over and over in the car)
  11. Crocodile Rock (live) - Elton John (someday I'll tell you about my concert experience of Billy Joel and Elton John, but not today)
  12. Sister Rosetta (Capture the Spirit) - The Noisettes (another freebie - man this is a good set of music!)
  13. A Pirate Looks at Forty (live) - Jimmy Buffett
  14. Fly Me to the Moon - Frank Sinatra
  15. A Most Peculiar Man (live) - Simon and Garfunkel
  16. Day Tripper - The Beatles (Soul Revolver does it better. Number 20 was another Beatles song, Penny Lane, which will always make me think of Kate Hudson in Almost Famous)
  17. Baby I'm A Want You - Bread (remember that comment about the iPod spontaneously combusting?)
  18. Mustang Sally - The Commitments (from the movie soundtrack)
  19. With Plenty of Money and You - Count Basie and Tony Bennett
  20. Leaving on a Jet Plane - John Colorado

5 comments:

Amy said...

Gah! My first twenty are still in draft form, and now I have to come up with twenty more?

I mean, I did the shuffle and noted the track title/artist, but I kind of fell apart in the commentary on each track. As you know, I tend to ramble on; therefore, I was trying to prune my Proustian involuntary memories about each song from a few paragraphs to a few sentences before inflicting my list on the general public. (You're welcome.)

However, you may be pleased to know that I, too, have "Fly Me to the Moon" and "Day Tripper" on my lists. The end.

Special K. said...

Sigh. I just don't know about you, BA. That's quite a line-up. I've also got "Thunder Road" and "Fly Me to the Moon," but that's it. I've got some Elton John, but not that one. (Always reminds me of the Muppet Show.)

I suppose I'll have to do my next 20, and maybe our friend ADR will do his in the comments again.

Lana Gramlich said...

Ironically, I heard "You don't mess around with Jim" on the car radio today...Personally I prefer "I've Got a Name."
I can play "Take it Easy" (& many other Eagles greats) on guitar. They're nice & easy that way. ;)

But what's this I see? A noticeable absence of anything by Pink Floyd? What is this world coming to...(Just kdn. You don't strike me as much of a Floyd fan, really.)

Brave Astronaut said...

Amy - well get busy!

Special - I'll note for the record that I never tagged you for this assignment, but it has been nice to see your tastes.

Lana - another great Croce hit. And yes, I am ashamed to admit I have no PF on my iPod. I don't even have a lot of Hall and Oates (and certainly not "Private Eyes" - sorry everybody, private joke between Lana and I - Lana, do you remember?)
We can still be friends though right?

ChrisMooreMusic said...

I can't believe I've never been to see Billy Joel live, even when both he and Elton John came around a few years ago. I love Billy Joel songs and I love how he tends to stick to his own material and not play as many cover songs. One of these days...