Cheddar Crusted Broccoli Soup
A well flavoured broccoli and cheese soup, topped with a rich and tasty Cheddar Cheese Crust!
- 1 large bunch of broccoli, about 1 1/4 pounds, wash and trim, Chop into bits
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 TBS butter
- 5 cups well flavored vegetable broth
- 2 TBS Dijon mustard
- 1 cup double cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces of shredded strong cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 2 large crusty rolls
- 6 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
Return the soup to the heat. Stir in the mustard, double cream and cheese. Cook and stir until the cheese melts. Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Keep warm.
Heat the grill to high. Cut the ends off of each of your rolls and then cut the middles into two thick slices. Toast them on both sides under the grill.
Place four heavy soup bowls on an oven tray. You want bowls that will be safe under the grill. Ladle the hot soup into the bowls, dividing it equally amongst the four dishes. Float a slice of toasted bread on top of each, then sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese evenly over top, again dividing it equally amongst the four dishes.
Slide the tray with the filled soup bowls under the grill and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from the grill and serve immediately.