- Corey Feldman and Rob Reiner tried out 30 different laughs before settling on the one Corey would use for Teddy.
- To help the kids stay in character Kiefer Sutherland would pick on them around the set.
- Rob Reiner, an outspoken anti-smoking advocate, insisted that the kids' cigarettes be made of cabbage.
- David Dukes and Michael McKean were both cast as “The Writer” before Reiner eventually settled on Richard Dreyfuss.
- Rob Reiner had to berate Wil Wheaton and Jerry O'Connell to get a terrified enough reaction. Neither kid was convincingly scared during the initial filming of the scene on the train tracks.
- The setting of the movie would become the name of Rob Reiner's production company - Castle Rock
- River Phoenix originally auditioned for the role of Gordie - Reiner (correctly) saw he'd make a better Chris.
- The four boys were troublemakers at their hotel. Wil Wheaton fixed the video games in the lobby so that they could play for free, the boys threw all of the pool furniture into the pool, and River Phoenix covered Kiefer Sutherland's car in mud. (Phoenix unfortunately didn't know it was Sutherland's car until an angry Kiefer confronted him. This may explain number 2.)
- Jerry O'Connell accidentally got very high. According to Kiefer Sutherland, there was a Renaissance Faire near one of their shooting locations. One day everyone went to the fair and bought cookies. Unfortunately people didn't realize they were pot cookies. They discovered Jerry O'Connell hours later high and crying.
- Stand by Me was the first Adaptation that Stephen King really liked. King was famously disappointed in almost every single film adaptation of his work (most notably Kubrick's take on The Shining), but he loved Reiner's take on Stand By Me so much that Castle Rock has had the first crack at adapting all of King's work. (And did handle the adaptations of Shawshank Redemption and Misery).
Saturday, October 13, 2012
List: 10 Things about "Stand By Me"
Today's list (comes from BuzzFeed) and features "10 Things You Didn’t Know About Stand By Me" - a really great movie and one that I will usually stop and watch if I come across it on TV.