Sunday, October 21, 2012

NO MORE WIRE FASTENERS EVER!

As most of you dear readers know, I am an archivist and when I worked primarily on paper collections, one of my responsibilities was to remove staples, and rusting paper clips from the paper to aid in their long-term preservation.

Some time ago, I spotted an article in my Reader about a new paper clip from ACCO Brands.  The article reports "though the U.S. long ago ceded manufacturing of such items as cellphones and computers to lower-cost producers, it still prevails in paper clips. Most of the estimated 11 billion sold each year in the U.S. are made domestically. But innovation has become rare."  While no one was out there clamoring for a redesign of the lowly paper clip - "the two main U.S. makers - ACCO and Officemate International Corporation of Edison, N.J. - have survived in that business mainly because, since 1994, import tariffs ranging up to 127% of the base price have protected U.S. clip makers from what the federal government deemed unfair Chinese competition. In June, the U.S. government renewed those tariffs for another five years. ACCO and Officemate also have kept costs low through automation."

Paper clips of course, do not just keep papers together.  "Others report using clips to hang Christmas tree ornaments (been there), clean pipes (done that) and unclog tubes of glue (got glue on the t-shirt). Some bend clips while talking on the phone, then flip them into the trash. Certain types of shredders have been made tough enough to digest all the clips office workers toss out with stacks of old paper."

While I am an archivist and will continue to protect paper from rusting metal - for many, the difference is lost on them - they think I am a librarian.  And it leads to some interesting looks, when they think I say "anarchist." Here's an "Open Letter to the Look that Slowly Forms on your Face When I Tell You I am a Librarian" (from McSweeney's)

An Open Letter to the Look That Slowly Forms On Your Face When I Tell You I Am a Librarian
by Becca Brody

Dear Look That Slowly Forms On Your Face When I Tell You I Am a Librarian:

The raised eyebrows and intake of breath fool no one. As a librarian, I am well aware that most people do not find my job an interesting topic of conversation at a neighborhood barbecue, music festival or, to use a more keenly relevant example, the cocktail party we both attended last Friday night. 

I believe that those four minutes we spent together, both holding a glass of shiraz in one hand and crumpled up napkins in the other, created a camaraderie that allow me to offer a few delicate suggestions. While at no time did your lips actually curl downward into a grimace, the frozen, dare I say stricken, look you chose to accompany my declaration of career halted our conversation before it even began.

It’s true that reactions to my occupation tend to fall into two camps. The first group registers immediate delight with a laugh and smile and a squealed “I love librarians!” followed by a request for assistance finding a favorite childhood book that had pictures of cats or rabbits and probably had a blue cover, or maybe red. That I can’t help them (because my job involves database administration and website creation, not children’s books) doesn’t seem to dampen their enthusiasm, because they had a great librarian in school once. 

Members of the other camp (this means you) pause just a bit too long. Their faces blank out, and maybe their heads lurch back just a touch as the eyes search for something or someone else to latch onto. This is not so bad. I too have stood next to a woman at a party and had absolutely no idea what follow up question would be appropriate. What do you ask someone who did something unpronounceable for a municipal water system? Blanking out is a known risk at cocktail parties and schmoozing events of all types and is not in itself a reason for despair. 

It’s what happens next that, to me, is unforgivable. It’s when your eyes light up ever so slightly, that bemused, faraway look coalesces, and you turn to me and say: 

“How ‘bout that Dewey Decimal System?” 

At that moment, you look so proud of yourself. You believe you have found a clever way out of cocktail party purgatory. You look almost hopeful, as if the conversation has been saved. But let me explain to your smug visage what has just happened: you have ruined it for everyone. 

Because now I have two options: I can spend a few minutes boring both of us by explaining how that system has been superseded in academic libraries by the Library of Congress system and how I never learned Dewey because I am not a public or school librarian (thereby confirming that, indeed, librarians have no sense of humor) or I can laugh as if I have never heard that comment before and say “I know, right? It’s really confusing.” Then one of us can scramble around for a follow-up. In either case your face blanks out again, and it is only a matter of seconds before one of us makes a desperate excuse and runs off to get more canapés. 

Next time, might I suggest a smile and a simple “How do you enjoy your work?” 

All the best, 
Becca

No comments: