Monday, October 8, 2007

Cleveland Rocks





I don't want to say as expected, but I will say "as promised," here is a "laudatory" post about the city of Cleveland, albeit not necessarily about the Indians, although I will root for them over the Red Sox in the ALCS. [While the idea for this post had been in my mind since the end of Game 1, it did not get written until the waning innings of Game 4.]

Cleveland also "owns" Drew Carey, who takes over for Bob Barker in a few weeks on the Price is Right. Carey has promised trips to Cleveland in the showcases. How bad can that be? All my gummint friends will not be able to view the video linked above. Watch it when you get home. It's the opening sequence from the Drew Carey show from a few years ago, the tune is, of course, "Cleveland Rocks."

I actually like Cleveland. I have only been there once and it was for a meeting. The Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference held a joint meeting with the Midwest Archives Conference. The meeting took place in the fall of 2000. At that time I had recently split up with my first wife and went off to the meeting. A good friend and colleague was also coming to the meeting. Her marriage had dissolved the year before. We always had a good time at the meetings and at this meeting, we made plans to go to the Cleveland Museum of Art.

The two of us went off to the museum and I kept finding myself looking at her. It dawned on me that we were both now "unattached" and we had become such really good friends that maybe we should take the relationship to another level. Just a few weeks after that conference, she came down to spend a few days with me in Florida, where I had gone on business. We started "dating," although she remained in DC and I continued to live and work in New York. I asked her to marry me in December of 2001. We were married in May of 2002, we welcomed our first child in December of 2004, and our second will arrive in a few short months.

And we owe a part of our successful relationship to Cleveland. Congratulations to the Indians. Now go out there and smother the Red Sox, please? Then you can go ahead and lose to the Rockies. The Yankees fought the good fight. But the bugs? Was that nice?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Awwww! Great story, and an excellent post.

And I see we have another person who wants a Cleveland Rocks! World Series.