Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Technology Update

There is a rumor that Verizon will get around to installing my phone service tomorrow. Before I get to that rant, let me update you on some DirecTV news. Faithful readers will remember that DirecTV screwed up my move, order, and service for television. So when the installer finally arrived, I called to request something more, clearly looking for something that I was not entitled to. They threw me a bone, giving me two free months of Showtime. I was sated.

Then I received a few calls from a contractor that works with DirecTV on the installation side. They were investigating an "escalation" issue regarding a late arrival by an installer. I finally got back to them and they informed me that since the installer had arrived late, I would be receiving a $100 credit! I began to explain my tale of woe to this nice young woman who was giving my $100 to see what else I might get. She told me to contact DirecTV directly. So I called. I explained my sob story to the first person that answered. He said that my record was already showing a credit balance, which I explained was only was was owed to me (double billing of the new DVR, credit for lost service time). So he asked what else he could do for me. I explained that I felt some additional compensation was due to me for the inconvenience. He transferred me to another individual and I explained my story once again.

He looked at my record and said, "Well, you are getting two free months of Showtime . . ." To that I responded, "well, yes, but I didn't have Showtime before, how about something for all of the services I already have or perhaps another perq (I thought about mentioning Center Ice here, ADR, but wait). So he looked and he put me on hold for a moment.

So he comes back and says, "How about we do this for you?:"
  • Reduce the cost of your Total Choice package by $10 for the next 12 months

  • No charge for your DVR service ($5.99/month) for 12 months

  • No charge for HBO ($13.00/month) for the next 6 months
I was driving at the time. I should have pulled over, because I nearly passed out. Who says the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease? I resisted the urge to get greedy by saying, "Hey, your website is offering a portable DVD player for new customers." I thanked the nice young man and even got him to send me all of that in writing. Let's see what happens with Verizon tomorrow.

No comments: