Saturday, October 6, 2007

Of Baseball Note

It is nearly midnight here in Maryland and I have learned that the Chicago Cubs fans are invoking their never ending mantra, "Wait 'til next year." The Cubbies have been swept aside by the Arizona Diamondbacks, who will await the winner of the Philadephia-Colorado series. (This game is currently in the 6th inning and the Rockies have a 1-0 lead over the Phillies.) As I said in my predictions, I wished for the Cubs to make it past the D-Backs, for if it wasn't now, who knows when it might happen? And the Rockies? Well, they are the team to beat. They are on fire.

In the American League, the Red Sox are manhandling the Angels and are one game away from the ALCS. Tomorrow afternoon the two teams will face off in Anaheim. The winner of that series will face the victor of the Yankees-Indians series. Yes, yes, I said the Yankees in four. So now it will have to be five. Yes, the Yankees are 3-11 in postseason games since the collapse against the Red Sox in 2004. But they are heading home to the Bronx and I still believe (wait, isn't that a Mets slogan?). Just in case, I have my laudatory Cleveland post just about ready to go to satisfy the wager I have with Amy in Cleveland. Game three of that series will be tomorrow evening.

What am I doing tomorrow? The Brave Astronaut family is heading up I-95 to visit with the newest member of the Brave Astronaut's extended family. Mrs. Brave Astronaut's sister gave birth to a daughter last week and we are off to ooh and ahh at the new baby. But I'll be sure to check in and report on the baseball tomorrow night.

Our drive tomorrow will take us into Delaware, home of the I-95 bottleneck. This article was forwarded to me by my mother-in-law, as she knows just how much I hate that state and its "highway," which is really just a parking lot and toll collection station.

Monday is Columbus Day and I will take the opportunity to get some paperwork done, finish cataloging my books in Library Thing, and maybe get some art on to the walls.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You know how confident I was going into Sunday night's game? I hadn't written anything nice about the Skankees, just to have in my back pocket in case they pulled it out. Instead, I had plans to make Monday's blog post out of images of the front pages from the Akron Beacon Journal, the ones with lovely headlines like "A Smashing Start," "Gnat in Our House!" and "Take Gnat, New York!" Sigh.

It was bad enough to lose to the Patriots that afternoon (like we really had a chance of winning, but hope springs eternal), but then to fail to clinch that evening? Especially when it started so well? Ugh.

Anyhow, hope the trip to see the new addition to the family went well. I don't remember driving in Delaware before, but I know that when I was driving in NJ last month, it just seemed like one random toll booth after another.