Friday, October 19, 2007

Countdown to 40

Tomorrow is October 20. While Mrs. Brave Astronaut and I will be heading into the wilds of Pennsylvania for the wedding of two good friends, the date also marks two months to my 40th birthday. A major milestone to be sure. Shortly after I turn 40, my son will turn 3 and my second child will arrive. I have purchased a home and am learning how to be handy. These efforts are going to require the application of some spackle and paint. I am not handy. I don't know why I agreed to this.

But anyway. Turning 40. Here's my wish list.
  • A flat screen HDTV. Hey, the prices are coming down. I don't deserve it, but it would be nice to have.
  • Tickets to the Washington Capitals - New York Rangers game. The Broadway Blueshirts will visit the Verizon Center (wait, maybe Nancy at Verizon could get me the company seats?) on December 12.
  • A nice dinner out. This will likely be accomplished with the American Express gift cards that Verizon is already sending. Where to go? I have a few ideas. Please feel free to comment on the choices. (Especially you, Restaurant Gal. I know you don't like to recommend places, but your description of the Palm when you were here last week has only served to remind me that I have wanted to go there since I moved here). Here are the places I am contemplating (in alphabetical order, so as to not influence your decision).
  • Blacksalt. Absolutely nothing wrong with good seafood.
  • Citronelle. One of those places everybody should go once? Should it wait until the big 5-0?
  • Fogo de Chao. Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like the "meat sweats"
  • The Palm. The leading contender. It has been on my radar, as I said, since I moved here. Newly renovated and really good steaks.
  • Proof. New, and a really good sommelier.

Would any of my friends like to come along? Let me know and I will make the reservations. The more the merrier.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Well if verizon wanted to hand you a return flight ticket from Scotland to the US I'd join you

ADR said...

Sorry, the correct answer to the restaurant question is Vidalia. End of story. See you in Carlisle.

Anonymous said...

Fogo de Chao, or Arcadiana.