Monday, October 1, 2007

Why I'm Not a Mets Fan?

That would be a rhetorical question . . . I grew up on Long Island in the shadow of "that purple stadium" and my heart was with the Yankees. Sure, I cheered them in 1986 when they won the World Series, but put tickets to a Yankee game or a Met game in front of me, I'm grabbing the tickets to the Bronx.

As the "free baseball" continues in Colorado, I will say parenthetically here, I have mentioned to my friends that my allegiance to the Yankees may fade when they start playing in their new stadium in 2009. Yankees playing anywhere other than in Yankee Stadium is just plain wrong. There are some who say one of the reasons that the Yankees struggled all year was the curse of Babe Ruth was back. It's possible the Babe was a bit upset at the Yankees tearing his house down.

But the Amazin's now have a new place in baseball history, the spectacular collapse. No team has ever blown a lead like the Mets did over the final weeks of the season. If Willie Randolph has a job next year, there is no justice in baseball.

Coming next - baseball predictions. Because I did so well last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From outside the beltway, where we are still playing baseball... Go PHILLIES. WooHoo! Was at the game Friday night when the took over 1st place alone (and of course promptly lost it the next day), and the joint was rocking! 14 Years--I moved here during the NLCS in 1993.

Be kind, Brave Astronaut, in your predictions. The Rockies might be on a streak, but the Fightin' Phils are feeling the love in City the City of Brotherly Love.

Although, this being Philly, and considering your recent aggressive mood, here is my rant for the week: Past few years, when it has seemed reasonable the Phils might be playing in October, I've always been able to purchase playoff tickets, had them in hand when they finally caught the last ball of the season. This year, when we are actually playing in October, they institute a lottery for the season ticket holders--do I get picked? NO. (But I'm still in the lottery for NLCS and WS tix.)

And the Yankees (who I really can't stand) leaving Yankee Stadium is a travesty!

I'm crawling back into my pretzel oven now...

PhillyGirl

6th Floor blog said...

Phillies are hands down the worst team in the playoffs. Throw a little pitching at them and they fall down.

As for the Yankees and the Curse of the Bambino, check out this article.

The Reversed Curse